Pork Belly Recipe (Tasty)
Source: Tasty Recipe Link
for 8 servings
BRAISED PORK BELLY
- 1 ½ lb whole skin-on pork belly
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pod star anise
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ gal water
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ teaspoon bay leaf powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup coconut vinegar
- ⅔ cup full-fat coconut milk
- oil, for frying
- 4 poached eggs
- 4 pinches ground szechuan peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons scallion, thinly sliced, green parts only
- 2 teaspoons garlic, fried
- 4 teaspoons fresh cilantro
- jasmine rice, cooked
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F (160˚C).
- Cut the pork belly in half crosswise and place in a Dutch oven or large oven-safe pot.
- In a large bowl, combine the salt, sugar, pepper, star anise, garlic, bay leaves, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and water. Whisk until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Pour the braising liquid over the pork belly. Cover the pork belly with a sheet of parchment paper, then tightly cover the pot with a sheet of aluminum foil. Bake for 2-2½ hours, until the pork is tender but not falling apart.
- Remove the pork belly from the braising liquid and transfer to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Chill uncovered in the refrigerator overnight.
- Make the adobo sauce: In a medium saucepan over low heat, combine the water, soy sauce, sugar, canola oil, bay leaf powder, black pepper, garlic, coconut vinegar, and coconut milk. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat and reserve until ready to use.
- Remove the pork belly from the refrigerator and cut it into approximately 8 5-ounce (140 g) pieces. Score the pork by slicing through the fat cap, stopping once you reach the meat, in ½-inch (1 cm) sections.
- Fill a large pot halfway with the oil and heat until it reaches 375˚F (190˚C).
- Fry the pork belly until the skin is crispy and the center is hot, about 8 minutes.
- Slice the pork belly between the scores.
- To serve, ladle some adobo sauce on the bottom of a serving bowl. Arrange a portion of pork belly on top and garnish with a poached egg, Szechuan pepper, scallions, fried garlic, and cilantro. Serve with Jasmine rice alongside.